As a player of Civ 6, experiencing frequent crashes and lag can be frustrating. To help address these issues, this article presents seven effective fixes to prevent crashing and lagging in Civ 6.
Launch Civ 6 outside of Steam and in Compatibility Mode
If you’re experiencing lag or crashes while playing Civilization 6, there are a few fixes you can try. One common solution is to launch the game outside of Steam and in Compatibility Mode. Here’s how to do it:
1. Exit Steam completely and make sure the game is not running in the background.
2. Right-click the Civilization 6 shortcut on your desktop or in your Steam library and select “Properties.”
3. In the Properties window, go to the “Compatibility” tab.
4. Check the box that says “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select a previous version of Windows from the drop-down menu. Typically, Windows 7 or Windows 8 compatibility mode works well.
5. Click “Apply” and then “OK” to save the changes.
6. Launch Civilization 6 again and see if the lag or crashes have improved.
If the issue persists, you can also try updating your graphics card drivers, disabling unnecessary background programs, or verifying the game files through Steam.
Remember to check online forums and communities like Reddit for additional troubleshooting tips specific to Civilization 6. It’s also important to regularly clear your browser’s cache and cookies to ensure smooth performance.
Update DirectX to the latest version
To resolve the issue of Civilization 6 crashing and lagging, one potential solution is to update your DirectX to the latest version. DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) that allows software, particularly games, to interact with your computer’s hardware components. Keeping it up to date can help ensure smooth gameplay and minimize crashes.
To update DirectX, follow these steps:
1. Go to the official Microsoft website or use a reliable source to download the latest version of DirectX.
2. Locate the downloaded file and run the installer.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
4. After the installation is complete, restart your computer to apply the changes.
Updating DirectX can help address compatibility issues between the game and your hardware, which may be causing the crashes and lag. By ensuring you have the latest version, you can take advantage of any performance improvements and bug fixes that have been implemented.
Remember to regularly check for updates to DirectX, as new versions may be released to address emerging issues or enhance gaming experiences.
If updating DirectX does not resolve the crashing and lagging issues, it may be necessary to explore other potential fixes. These can include updating your graphics card drivers, adjusting in-game settings, or verifying the integrity of the game files. Consult relevant online communities such as Reddit or the official Civilization forums for further troubleshooting tips and recommendations.
By taking these steps, you can improve your gaming experience and reduce the frustrations caused by crashes and lag in Civilization 6.
Verify the integrity of Civ 6 game files
If you’re experiencing crashes and lag while playing Civilization 6, it’s important to verify the integrity of your game files. This process ensures that all the necessary files are intact and not corrupted, which can often be the cause of crashes and lag. Here are 7 fixes to help you stop lagging and enjoy smooth gameplay.
1. Open Steam: Launch the Steam client on your computer.
2. Go to Library: Click on “Library” at the top of the Steam window.
3. Right-click Civilization 6: Locate Civilization 6 in your game library, right-click on it, and select “Properties.”
4. Open Local Files Tab: In the properties window, click on the “Local Files” tab.
5. Verify Integrity of Game Files: Click on the “Verify Integrity of Game Files” button. This will initiate a process where Steam will check for any missing or corrupted files and replace them.
6. Wait for the Process to Complete: The verification process may take some time, depending on the size of the game and your internet connection. Allow Steam to complete the process without interruption.
7. Restart Civilization 6: Once the verification process is complete, close the properties window and restart Civilization 6. Check if the crashes and lag have been resolved.
crash_logs_dir = "path/to/crash/logs"
if not os.path.exists(crash_logs_dir):
print("Crash logs directory not found.")
crash_logs = os.listdir(crash_logs_dir)
if not crash_logs:
print("No crash logs found.")
for log_file in crash_logs:
with open(os.path.join(crash_logs_dir, log_file), 'r') as file:
# Perform analysis on the crash log file
# You may consider parsing the log and extracting relevant information
# Example: Print the contents of the crash log
# Check if the system meets the minimum requirements to run Civ 6
# You can check the operating system, available memory, graphics card, etc.
# Example: Check the operating system
if os.name != 'posix':
print("Civ 6 is only supported on Unix-based systems.")
# More checks can be added based on the game's requirements
if not check_system_requirements():
print("Your system does not meet the requirements to run Civ 6.")
if __name__ == "__main__":
This code provides a basic structure for a tool that can analyze crash logs for Civilization VI and perform system requirement checks.
Update or reinstall your graphics card driver
1. Start by identifying the make and model of your graphics card. You can usually find this information in the device manager or by checking the manufacturer’s website.
2. Visit the manufacturer’s website to download the latest driver for your graphics card. Make sure to choose the driver that is compatible with your operating system.
3. Before installing the new driver, it’s important to uninstall the old one. To do this, go to the device manager, locate your graphics card, right-click on it, and select “Uninstall”. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation.
4. After uninstalling the old driver, restart your computer.
5. Once your computer has restarted, install the new driver that you downloaded from the manufacturer’s website. Follow the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer.
6. After the installation is complete, restart your computer again to ensure the changes take effect.
7. Test your game to see if the crashes and lag have been resolved. If not, you may need to try some additional troubleshooting steps or seek further assistance.
Updating or reinstalling your graphics card driver can often resolve performance issues in games like Civilization 6. Follow these steps carefully to ensure a successful driver update and enjoy a smoother gaming experience.